Friday, October 26, 2007

Perplexity of Prism

Yesterday, the big news floating around Digg, Lifehacker, TechCrunch, Mashable and Wired was the Mozilla Labs beta release of Prism.

Of course, reading all of the hype surrounding this program, I downloaded and started to use it. The only issue: what is the purpose of it?

The general rundown of Prism is basically this:

You have a bunch of programs that you use online (ex. Gmail, Google Calendar, Facebook, MySpace, anything with a URL address) and you use them everyday, multiple times a day. Mozilla Labs made the jump to have the ability to access all of these programs from your desktop without opening your internet browser by using Prism. OK?

I understand that this program is meant to bring application from the web to the desktop, but why?

Personally, I never close my internet browser(s) during the entirety of a day. I utilize my multiple tabs feature to the fullest extent and try to keep my taskbar as "uncluttered" as I can make it. Prism defeats that completely.

Each link that you create for your desktop, using Prism, opens up a new window as if you are opening up a new program for each web application. This fills my taskbar quickly and my system resources starts to take a hit. Granted, I'm utilizing a 5 year old laptop that is due for retirement.

So what's the purpose of Prism in reality? You still need internet access to use the web applications. You fill the taskbar and utilize more system resources with each application. Basically, it's a backwards step from Web 2.0 to Web 1.0 right?

I could be wrong in regards to what is being accomplished with Web 2.0. Prove me wrong.

On a side note, Mozilla Labs is worth checking out. They have some great "Experiments" that are in beta phase and definitely cool. I'm using the ChromaTabs add-on in my Flock browser and it's great new look!

Digg me, subscribe and link up!

Have a great day!

No comments: