Thursday, August 9, 2007

Spock It!

With a little help from Wired, TechCrunch and Lifehacker, I've been trying out a new online social network of sorts called Spock.

Spock is an online application that is meant to create a solid image and collection of all of your online identities on most of the websites that require registration. This concept is great and makes it easy for an individual or company to get a grasp of what you are interested in, what kind of voice or political stance or education or any of wide variety of interests that you might display throughout the web!

There are some downsides to this particular concept considering the simple fact that ambiguity among sites is no longer possible if people begin to register. This would prevent events such as the recent fake "Job's Blog" that caused a small uproar of laughter throughout the online community of bloggers.

Granted, this system can be manipulated and what not but this idea is great and makes for quite an interesting idea that you can have a very centrally located page that has extensions and links to all of your online identities!

I am finding this utility to be quite interesting and fun to play with, but there are risks on my mind that do concern me. If a black hatter (a bad hacker) were to access one of my accounts, I am unsure as to whether or not they would have access to my Spock account and in turn have access to all of my accounts. This is something to be addressed in the near future I hope and I plan to do more research in regards to this site.

If anyone has any experience with this application or the new WikiYou site, please let me know of any perks or concerns you might have! I'd greatly appreciate it!

Have a great day!

Blogged with Flock

No comments: