Tuesday, April 24, 2007

History in the Making or a Huge Flop?

On the majority of technology headlines today, the major item of interest was the fact that Yahoo will be hosting the first ever online presidential debate! The two major political parties will be debating and it will be hosted by Charlie Rose. Watch out!

To be 100% honest, I was bored just reading this article. For one, I'm not sure how revolutionary this idea is going to be. Back in 1960 during the first televised presidential debate between JFK and Nixon, there was a certain vantage point for JFK in appearance. JFK was a handsome man while Nixon appeared to be very "drawn out" and old. This is still a topic of debate because of the mass media effect on the presidential imagery.

However, I'm failing to see how having an online presidential debate is beneficial. Is this to show that the candidates are somewhat tech savvy and want to appeal to the millions of Internet users throughout the U.S.? Is there some appeal to using Yahoo to broadcast a debate? Is it really going to make a difference if the debate is on the internet versus cable televison? Is anyone actually going to watch anyways? I guess if I wanted to hear a debate online about political issues or any issue for that matter, I would strike up an IM conversation with a friend of opposing political preferences!

Maybe it's just me being a college guy and failing to see some brilliance behind this marketing of the presidential debate but I found the article about the discovery of kryptonite a bit more fascinating but comparable in humor! I mean we could kill Superman if we wanted to now! (not saying that I would!)

This was just a little muse into the headlines, politics and technology, but as always feel free to subscribe to my blog and leave your comments! I always enjoy reading them!

Have a great day!





Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , ,



Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: