Tuesday, April 17, 2007

A Great Competition!

Considering I usually call myself a pretty knowledgeable person in terms of technology, I really have very little experience with an incredibly unique tool from Google: Google Earth.

This is a magnificent and highly detailed tool that can be used for any purpose you can think of. A good way to look at this tool is think of the spy or military movies. Someone needs to see where a road or a building or city is so they use satellite imagery to coordinate the exact location and they are then able to see the exact item they were looking for in a top down version. Google Earth lets you do the same thing!

The people at Google amaze me sometimes! I know this technology has been out for a while, but I would highly recommend it to anyone who has not tried it yet. There is a plethora, yes a plethora, of actions you can do with this tool.

Google is also getting in on having people, students in particular, to help design a 3D version of their campus for reference onto Google Earth. The Build Your Campus in 3D Competition sounds like an incredibly fun and challenging idea. The tools are easy to use (Google SketchUp) and it is meant for everyone!

I would definitely say it is worth a try and what could it hurt? If your bored sitting at the computer and you need something to do, download SketchUp and start designing buildings or your dream house or anything. Who knows, maybe the next Google competition will be "Design your dream house with Google!".

Either way, try it and let me know if anyone is interesting in or already participating in the competition! I would love to hear about it!

Have a great day and as always, feel free to leave your comments!



Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: